In an uncanny coincidence, the opening thunderclap on Psyche’s “Thundershowers In Ivory Towers” echoed a live one here in Florida. What can you expect when the set is so smoking hot it imitates reality? That’s what, along with some of the best, rare, and obscure 80’s tunes your ears have never heard.
Be sure to tune in to Ed and his “wow, I’ve never heard that before” 80’s Retrospect show on CFRC-FM from 8 pm until 10 pm on Tuesday nights. Ed takes requests by phone: (613) 533-CFRC (2372) or email: retrospectcfrc at yahoo dot ca. Indulge yourself in some “80’s Music that doesn’t suck.” I guarantee die-hard 80’s New Wave/Post-punk fans will not be disappointed.
CFRC-FM Playlist April 20, 2010
Basement of Carruthers Hall in Queens University, Kingston, Ontario
ED-FM ~ Retrospect
80’s Music That Doesn’t Suck
If the “Listen Live” link on the CFRC Website doesn’t work, copy and paste this URL into your Windows Media Player: http://sunsite.queensu.ca:8000/
Join us in the Chat Room during the show – either click the link on the right menu under the Rave and Roll graphic, or here.
To listen to any shows that you may have missed, go to the CFRC website and look up the archives under the “Programming” drop-down menu. You can enjoy Ed’s previous shows in one-hour increments.
1. Arkitex – First World Calling
2. When In Rome – The Promise
3. Hawaiian Pups – Overture To Young Boys
4. Cottage Industry – ESP
5. Psyche – Thundershowers In Ivory Towers (extended)
6. Siouxsie And The Banshees – I Promise
7. Men Without Hats – I Got The Message
8. The Clash – The Magnificent Seven
9. Tear Garden – Ophelia
10. The Extras – Circular Impression
11. Yello – The Race
12. West India Company – Ave Maria
13. Echo & The Bunnymen – The Killing Moon (up all night mix)
14. Images In Vogue – Every Time
15. Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark – Electricity
16. Dalek I Love You – Heaven Was Bought For Me
17. Tears For Fears – Pale Shelter
18. Sexbeat – Sexbeat
19. Thompson Twins – Make Believe (U.S. version)
Miss P., if you’ve got some time on a Friday night between 5-8pm PDT, have a listen to the “Impending Loom” on CHLY 101.7 FM from Nanaimo, BC. The first hour or so is pretty heavy funk, we get some ska going in the second hour, and we finish up with alt-80’s to close. Not nearly what Ed is doing at CFRC or what the Marsbar is up to, but we do try to capture some of that CFNY-style vibe!
Thanks so much for your blog, and all that you do to keep this music and these groups alive!
Heya DJ Doc – so nice to hear from you! I promise I will tune in for at least part of the show tonight. It sounds like it would be right up my alley. 🙂
All the best to you and I will also do my best to spread the word.